How to choose red caviar without preservatives?
Irregular consumption of fish products, including both fish itself and fish caviar in most cases makes it extremely difficult to choose the right product that is really high-quality and completely natural. Nowadays it is not easy to buy caviar without any synthetic or third-party natural impurities additives.
The presence of even permitted preservatives in red caviar, for example, such as E200 (ascorbic acid), E211 (benzoatrium) often added to the finished product by many manufacturers, should not give any sour or sweet taste to the quality product (red caviar). Since manufacturers, in accordance with applicable standards, rules, and regulations, must adhere to a strictly defined amount of each specific food additive used in the process of obtaining the product, including the preservatives listed above.
The hallmarks of the truly high-quality red caviar sold in glass or in cans, are the following:
- Location of facilities that is really suitable for the production of such a product, taking into account the unavoidable logistic costs (packaging, storage, transportation) associated with changes in temperature and time conditions for moving, storing, processing the product (red caviar).
- Simply put, high-quality red caviar can be harvested, processed and packaged exclusively in the same region; in Russia, for instance, the Far East is such a region.
- In order to avoid falling into various tricks of manufacturers, experts also recommend paying attention to the exact address indicated on the package with red caviar. Since recently manufacturers have begun to indicate the legal rather than the actual address of a company specializing in the production of the same red caviar. Therefore, some Far Eastern regions may be indicated as the places of fishing, and the place of packaging is an enterprise located in central Russia.
- It is imperative that you pay attention to the fact that the production and packaging dates coincide with the spawning period of the specific fish species (from which this caviar was obtained). Experts recommend giving preference to caviar collected and packaged during the spawning period. The spawning period for salmon fish lasts from July to September. The choice of caviar produced in the proper time significantly increases the chances of acquiring a truly high-quality red caviar.
- Different types of red caviar differ in shape, size, color, taste, and even aroma. But it is not that easy to distinguish one red caviar from another by smell, and only professionals can do it. Such specialists are, for example, chefs, sous-chefs, cooks of Japanese cuisine restaurants, as well as technologists working directly at enterprises engaged in the extraction, processing and packaging of red caviar.
- Distinctive features of sockeye salmon caviar are dark red color, medium-sized eggs, the average diameter of which should not exceed 2 mm. In addition, sockeye salmon caviar (as well as coho salmon caviar) is light, but distinctly noticeable, palpable, with characteristic natural bitterness.
- For lovers and connoisseurs of red caviar without bitterness, taste experts recommend giving preference to pink salmon caviar or chum salmon caviar. Current regulations oblige red caviar producers to indicate the specific type of fish from which this caviar was obtained. If such a designation is not indicated on the packaging, then such caviar is clearly not worth taking.
- Pink salmon caviar differs in the average size of eggs; the color of such caviar can vary from light orange to dark orange. Pink salmon caviar has a delicate, mild taste without any bitterness.
- The largest red caviar in size is caviar of chum salmon.
- High-quality, fresh, properly processed and packaged caviar which was stored and transported in compliance with temperature standards, should have a slight smell of fish. This smell of the product (red caviar) confirms its natural origin. Initially there can be no vivid sour, sweet or bitter smell in such a product. Since such signs clearly indicate the processes of the natural oxidation of the product which appears due to the multiplication of bacteria of natural decay.
Thus, the main rules that allow you to choose a really high-quality red caviar are the following:
- Caviar production terms: from July to September.
- Place of production: for Russia, Primorye is the best region for the collection and production of caviar.
- Appearance of caviar: it is necessary to pay attention to the specific type of fish from which red caviar was obtained. For example, caviar of sockeye salmon and coho salmon has some natural bitterness, and caviar of pink salmon has a mild flavor.